It goes without saying that a hearty and wholesome breakfast keeps one going for the whole day.Oats, a very common breakfast cereal has managed to grab a prominent place in my breakfast menu. I personally rate it as the best super food in terms of the health benefits associated with it,easy availability,versatality in cooking and not too expensive either, to burn a hole in your pocket.As the milky oats porridge topped with nuts and fruits makes for a hearty meal ,so is savoury form infused with the goodness of vegetables and herbs.Though so many ready to cook flavours adorn the shelves of the supermarkets nowadays ,for me it is always a delight to cook for my self and family. Below I present you with the recipe of the savoury oats with an Italian twist which is generous on tomatoes and fresh herbs.
- 1 cup -oats
- 1-large onion finely chopped
- 4-large tomatoes pureed
- 6-7 fat garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano or any herb of your choice(fresh herbs can also be used)
- chili flakes as per taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander/parsley/celery
- 2 tbsp olive oil/any oil
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- grated parmesan cheese or any cheese( optional)
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp of oil.
- To this add chopped onions and lightly saute,till they become soft and translucent.
- Add chopped garlic and saute for 1/2 a minute till it starts releasing aroma.Add paprika powder followed by tomato puree.
- season it with salt ,chili flakes and oregano.Cook till it achieves saucy consistency.
- To this add 4 cups of water,mix it well and bring to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling,lower the heat and add oats into it.Give it a nice mix so that no lumps are formed.Taste the seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Cook for about 5 -7 minutes till the oats are done and a porridge like consistency is obtained.It should neither be too thick or too runny.
- Add chopped coriander,mix well and a hearty meal is ready.
- Serve hot ,seasoned with black pepper,grated cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
While cooking sauce ,diced vegetables like zucini,carrots or bell peppers can also be added as per choice.
HAPPY COKING TILL I COME BACK WITH A NEW RECIPE.