Kadhi is a thin yogurt based curry which is mostly eaten along with steamed rice, thus making Kadhi Chawal(rice) a complete and a popular dish in Northern India.Originally it consists of fried chickpea flour (besan) dumplings dunked in yogurt gravy. In the recipe that follows below, I have replaced the fried dumplings with steamed vegetables,making it a healthier option for the people avoiding fried dumplings without compromising on the taste and at the same time enhancing its nutritional value.It can be easily customised depending on the availability of the vegetables in your pantry. So here goes the recipe.
For the curry
- 1 -large carrot (diced)
- 1/2 cup- green beans cut into 1″ size pieces
- 1-medium sized potato(peeled and diced)
- 1-medium sized cauliflower( cut into small florets)
- 1 cup- plain curd
- 3 tbsp- chick pea flour(besan)
- 1 tsp- turmeric powder
- 2 tsp – coriander powder
- Red chili powder as per the heat required
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
For tempering( tadka)
- 1 tbsp- ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/2 tsp-black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp- cumin seeds
- 1/ 4 tsp- asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp-paprika powder
- 2- whole red chilies
- Few curry leaves( optional)
- Steam all the vegetables in a steamer till they are nicely done but do not turn mushy.
- Put them in ice cold water so that their colour remain nice and bright.
- Whisk chick pea flour and curd together so that it becomes smooth and no lumps are present.Dilute it by adding 2-3 cups of water.
- Heat oil in a saucepan or a skillet.
- Add turmeric powder,coriander powder,chili powder and lightly fry the spices without burning them and pour in gently the curd and besan mixture. season it with salt and bring to a boil stirring in between.Cook for about 10 minutes and then add the vegetables to it. Cook for another 5 minutes and switch of the gas.
- Heat ghee in a small pan.Add mustard and cumin seeds.When they splutter add whole red chilies,curry leaves,hing and paprika powder.Mix it well and pour over the prepared curry.Garnish with chopped coriander and serve along with steamed rice.
- The amount of oil/ghee can be increased or decreased as per the choice.
- Other vegetables like bottle gourds, gourds,broccoli etc. can also be used.
HAPPY COOKING!!! TO ALL