Chenna Kheer is a very simple and easy to cook pudding in which very small tiny balls of cottage cheese(panir/chenna) cooked in sugar syrups are added to thickened flavoured milk . The flavouring is done usually with cardamom powder,saffron or rose water.This is a mildly sweetened, luscious and melt in mouth dessert that can become part of party menu to festival feast.Its is served chilled or can also be consumed at room temperature.Though it tastes best if consumed chilled and its delicate taste will leave you for wanting more.So if you want to enjoy this delectable yet simple dessert then have a look at the recipe given below.
- 2 lit.-whole milk( cow milk is preferred )
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp crushed green cardamom
- A pinch of edible lemon yellow colour/saffron
- chopped nuts for garnishing( I have used almonds)
- In a pan bring 1 lit. of milk to boil.Switch of the gas and add 2 tbsp of vinegar to it ,or enough vinegar to curdle the milk.Strain it in a muslin cloth and immediately wash it with cold water to stop it from further cooking,or else the chenna (cottage cheese) will become tough and will not give good results.Gather it in a muslin cloth lightly pressing to drain excess water.Water does not need to be drained 100%.
- Take it out in a plate or a tray and mash it smooth rubbing between your palms till it forms a very smooth soft dough .
- Divide it into small pieces and round them into balls.I have made about 36 balls and would suggest to make at least 40 balls,smaller the better as after cooking in the syrup their size almost doubles.
- Take 1 heaped cup sugar in a deep sauce pan and to it add about 4 cups of water.Bring it to boil and then add about 1/2 cup milk to it.This milk is not added to clean the syrup as sugar available nowadays are clean,but to maintain the syrup to continuously rolling boil which is most important to give rasgullas their texture.
- Simultaneously in another saucepan heat another 1 lit.of milk and cook till it reduces to half.Add sugar to taste,I prefer mildly sweetened.Add colour or saffron soaked in warm milk and cardamom powder for flavouring.
- When the syrup starts rolling boil add the chenna balls ,cover the lid and cook for about 10-15 minutes in between lifting the lid so that sugar syrup does not boil out as we have added milk to it.Do not leave it unattended at this stage.
- Switch of the gas and gently take out the balls and put it in the thickened milk and cook for another 5 minutes in the milk.
- Put off the flame and let it cool down.Refrigerate it till it is chilled.
- Serve it garnished with chopped nuts.
- Always use freshly prepared chenna( cottage cheese),never use ready made from the market.
- Cook chenna balls in rolling boil syrup only.
- The size of the sauce pan taken should be big enough to allow space to the balls to expand.
- Allow to rest this dish for minimum 3 hours for the flavours to set in before serving.
HAPPY COOKING TILL I COME BACK WITH A NEW RECIPE.