The lotus root (rhizome) as the name suggests is the root of the lotus flower.It is long and woody and can stretch up to 4 feet.It is used as a vegetable in Asian cuisines within soups,or are deep fried,stir fried,braised or cooked in other interesting ways.It has numerous health benefits that are mainly attributed to its unique mix of vitamins,minerals and phytonutrients,including potassium,copper,iron,and manganese,thiamine,pantothenic acid,zinc,vitamin B6 and vitamin C.It significantly provides fiber and proteins too.It has a mild,slightly sweet flavour and is suitable for eating raw as well as in cooked form.
Kashmiri Nadru Yakhni is a dish prepared from lotus root.It is a mildly spiced yogurt based curry dish from Kashmir in Northern India.The unique blend of spices used in this dish makes it very flavorful and can be best enjoyed with naan or rice .
For the Curry
- 2 cups lotus stem cleaned and sliced
- 4 green cardamom
- 2 black cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 tsp fennel powder(saunf)
- 1/2 tsp shahee jeera/black cumin seeds
- 2 slit green chilies
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1 tsp gram flour( besan)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee/oil
- 2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
Cooking the Curry
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add green cardamom, black cardamom, cloves,cinnamon,green chilies and black cumin into the hot oil and let them crackle.
- Toss in the sliced lotus stem along with 1/2 tsp fennel powder.
- Mix well, add salt and 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Put on the lid and cook for 3-4 whistles or till lotus stem gets cooked.
- Whisk the yogurt along with turmeric powder,1 tsp fennel powder,1 tsp ginger powder and gram flour.
- Release the pressure of the cooker and open the lid.
- Add the whisked yogurt and spice mixture into the cooked lotus stem.
- Adjust the salt and cook the gravy for 10 minutes or till it gets cooked and attains a smooth texture.
Tempering the Gravy
- Heat ghee in a tempering pan.
- Add in the cumin seeds,asafoetida and red chili powder into the hot ghee and immediately pour over the gravy.
- Serve hot along with buttered chapatis or steamed rice.
- Always try to select lotus stems which are closed from both the ends while purchasing to avoid mud inside the holes which becomes difficult to clean.
- Soak the slices in warm salted water for an hour to ensure extra cleaning.
Enjoy !!!!! till I am back………………………………………………………………………….
Till then happy cooking!!!!!