Winter season is in full swing in delhi and the market especially the bi weekly farmers market in my neighbourhood seems to be flooded with variety of fruits and vegetables.Visiting farmers market these days is a visual treat to the eyes and anybody who is fond of vegetable buying may go crazy.It won’t be a surprise if one ends up buying more then what one had planned for.Unlike several past years winters in Delhi has arrived on time and seems to be biting with mercury dipping below normal.This makes a perfect time to indulge in eating.Eating seasonal is always recommended and here comes the mushroom in abundance.However mushroom is not a vegetable but a fungi.There are lots of varieties of edible mushrooms but the most commonly available one is the button or white mushrooms.The nutritional benefits of eating mushrooms are immense.They are the super food and most health promoting packed with important nutrients like B vitamins,selenium,potassium,copper and vitamin D. Matar Mushroom Curry is a winter delight with mushrooms and fresh green peas tasting at its best.The recipe that I have come up with is a mildly spiced curry which is not overpowering and brings out the best flavors of mushrooms and peas together.It is a perfect vegetarian main course dish and can go very well with naan and rice . I am sure by now you all must be curious to know the recipe so lets quickly jump to the recipe.
- 400 gm mushroom(I have used button mushrooms)
- 1 cup fresh green peas(frozen peas can also be used)
- whole spices(4 green cardamom,4-5 cloves,1″ cinnamon stick,5-6 black peppercorns)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 2 medium tomatoes pureed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2-3 tbsp oil or ghee
- Cut the mushrooms into halves or quarters depending upon the size.
- Heat oil or ghee in a wok.
- Add whole spices and fry them for few seconds.
- Add in the chopped onions and fry them till golden in colour.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook till the oil separates.
- Add turmeric powder,chili powder.Mix well.
- Add in the pureed tomatoes and cook till the oil separates.
- Toss in the mushrooms and peas together.Mix well and put on the lid.Cook for about 7-8 minutes.
- Take off the lid and add kasuri methi and garam masala powder.Mix well.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water and salt according to taste.Mix well again and simmer for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the cream ,mix well and switch off the flame.The dish is ready to be served.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve along with chapati or rice.
Tips and tweaks:
- Mix cream just before serving.
- The quantity of oil or ghee can always be altered as per your choice.
- The garam masala mentioned in the ingredient list is a spice blend which is readily available in super markets.However it can be prepared freshly at home too.The recipe of which I intend to bring in my subsequent blogs.
Enjoy!!! …………………………………….Happy Cooking and Merry Christmas!!!……………….