Today was a lazy evening and did not want to cook anything elaborate for the reason that no one was very keen on having dinner post heavy lunch.But something light needed to be had to avoid late night hunger pangs.Hence decided to prepare a light tomato soup called tamatar ka shorba and serve it along with some foccacia bread.The reason behind making foccacia bread was that whatever little would get consumed in the dinner,the leftover can very well be used in the breakfast the next day.Tamatar ka shorba was the main highlight of the dinner.This is a mildly spiced soup with medium thin consistency.It is tempered with cumin seeds and clarified butter before serving which lend it its distinctive flavor.Garnishing with fresh chopped coriander and bread croutons makes it look very appealing that makes you instantly grab the cup/bowl of soup and combining it with foccacia bread makes it all the more scrumptious.So lets quickly jump to the recipe to have a look.For the recipe of foccacia bread click on the following link
Serves : 4
- 6 tomatoes medium size
- 1 tbsp crushed ginger and garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- Black pepper powder to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp ghee(clarified butter)
- Chopped coriander for garnishing
- Bread croutons
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters.
- Put them in a pressure cooker along with ginger and garlic and salt.Cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Release the pressure from the cooker and blend cooked tomatoes.
- Strain the blended mixture in a strainer and remove the seeds.
- Adjust the consistency of the soup and salt to taste.
- Add nutmeg powder and black pepper powder.
- Give it a quick boil.
- Prepare the tempering by heating ghee in a pan and crackle cumin seeds.Pour it over the prepared soup just before serving.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and bread croutons and ENJOY!!!…sipping hot hot soup.
Tips & Tweaks:
- Left over bread slices can be used to prepare croutons.
- Spices like cinnamon,star anise and bay leaves can also be added .
- Other vegetables can also be added as per choice.
- Always add tempering just before serving.
Enjoy and Happy Cooking!!!……………………………………………………………………………………..