Paneer makkhani is a very popular paneer (cottage cheese) dish from North India.Going by the name it is truly a delicious dish with cottage cheese pieces dunked in a buttery ,creamy tomato based gravy with hint of sweetness.The gravy is mild on spices but is full of flavor.Addition of kasuri methi adds a magical twist to the flavor and off course addition of cream and butter makes a delectable gastronomic experience.This is a main course vegetarian dish enjoyed best with buttered naan.But any flat bread or rice forms an equally good companion.The dish is very simple to make with simple ingredients.Hence why visit restaurant each time when a restaurant like dish can be very easily prepared at home with minimum efforts.Let us now quickly jump to the recipe to see how its made.But before that check out the following links for more recipes related to cottage cheese.
- Paneer Jalfrezi
- Paneer(Cottage Cheese) and Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Paratha(Flat Bread)
- Malai Kofta Curry
- Kadahi Paneer
- Palak Paneer
Serves : 4
- 200 gm cottage cheese or paneer cut into cubes or triangles
- 1/2 cup grated onion or grounded onion
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 200 gm tomato puree
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1 tbsp kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tbsp dry kasuri methi
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Whole spices(4 green cardamoms,4-5 cloves and 1″ cinnamon stick)
- Salt to taste
- Sugar,brown sugar or honey to taste
- Ghee and butter
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter.
- Add whole spices and let them crackle.
- Add ground onion paste and cook till pink in color.
- Add ginger & garlic paste and chopped green chilies and cook till ghee separates.
- Add kashmiri chili powder and give it a quick stir.
- Mix in the tomato puree and add about 2 cups of water.
- Add salt to taste and sugar to balance the tartness of the puree according to taste.Cook on medium heat for about 7-8 minutes to infuse in the flavors and get a medium thick consistency.
- Add in kasuri methi and garam masala powder.
- Gently slide in the paneer pieces and mix well.Simmer for another 4-5 minutes and put off the flame.
- Mix in some extra butter and fresh cream.Garnish with green coriander (optional) and serve hot along with rotis,naan or rice and ENJOY…………
Tips & Tweaks:
- You can fry paneer pieces before adding to the gravy or can be added without frying also.I have added without frying.
- Adding butter in the gravy at the end is optional but cream is must to get the desired texture and taste.One can also add fresh malai as well.
- Always add cream just before serving because after adding cream if you reheat again the ghee will separate from the cream resulting in change in appearance of the dish.
- The consistency of the gravy should be medium thick.
Enjoy !!!…………………………….and Happy Cooking! & Eating !………………………………………………